Thursday, March 6, 2008

Boston's Most Wanted

A few weeks ago the local news featured a new site that lists Boston's most wanted criminals. The list also includes pictures of their faces. This concept made me think back our first class session in which we discussed how our brains can recognize certain faces even if we have never formally met the person. Ever since I was young, I have always been fascinated with people's abilities to see a picture on the news and recognize the person as someone they have met, and often the encounters are brief, yet their brain is able to make those connections. Here is the website for Boston's most wanted, see if you recognize anyone?

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/fo/bswanted.htm

1 comment:

Karen said...

I find it to be very frustrating when I see someone who looks really familiar, but I just can't place where I know them from. Sometimes they just look very similar to someone I know, and I really haven't seen them before. My dad thinks everyone has a 'twin' somewhere...an especially interesting phenomenon for me, since I actually *AM* a twin...though my sister and I are genetically identical, we different enough that most people can tell us apart. The really freaky thing is, though, that she and I each have a look-alike back in Seattle where we grew up...a woman who looks enough like my sister and a woman who looks enough like me that my parents were actually fooled into thinking it was one of us at the mall! Makes me wonder what it is that allows us to distinguish people who look alike, despite their similarities.